top of page



Our building is thought to have been built in the late 1760s by James Banks, who's family were in the wool trade.


It was later owned by a leading solicitor, William Stewart, but following his death it became a select gentlemen's club "The Wakefield and County Club", which survived until the 1950s.

It was also James Banks, who in 1776, built Wakefield's first purpose-built theatre, the Theatre Royal on Westgate.

York House Hotel sits just behind the Theatre Royal on Drury Lane and our building has retained many of it's original features such as the ceiling in the hotel reception area, original fireplaces and the original decorative mahogany door frames.

bottom of page